Wednesday 3 December 2014

What do children enjoy about dance?

Recently I have been wondering what do children enjoy about dancing, and as lots of children do lots of classes I wanted to find out which one is most popular and why? Is it the uniform? The music? The teacher? The style of dance? Their friends are in that class? There are many possible reasons why a child enjoys a certain class or why someone wouldn't enjoy a specific class and I would like to look into this with more detail. I know each child will have different opinions and enjoy different genres of dance, but normally the most common class is street, I know this by looking at the registers and looking at how many children attend shows me it is very popular.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a very open question to answer. And it is clear that you have identified that there can be many reasons why children might enjoy a particular class. I would like to turn this around and think from the other side as to why children might not enjoy a particular class in comparison to another? The children I teach mainly attend more than one genre and what I have noticed is that the focus really varies from one style to another. Whilst I may have a child in one class who shows a great progression and understanding in ballet, and another failing to complete exercises accurately and becoming easily distracted, it is almost like the roles reverse within a class of tap.

    This could be a really interesting question to develop your learning and maybe even have a positive effect of the classes you teach in the future. Good luck! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would also be an interesting outcome and would effect your classes for the better too. I also find that children really like tap or find it very difficult, also randomly I find students who enjoy tap and easily pick up rhythms really enjoy singing classes too. This is another possibility for me to look into in Module 2.
    I hope sure your question will lead you to many options, and will help explain what your students like and dislike.

    ReplyDelete