Tuesday 14 April 2015

The difference between technical and expressive skills in performing

Last week I spent hours in the Library trying to find some more books to help with my research on different ideas I have been looking into. Eventually I found a AQA Dance written by Maggie Cluine, Liz Dale, Lyn Paine, it was not what I had in mind but it had many different sections on technical and expressive skills in performing which I have been comparing, I also researched into choreographing as this is a big section of being a teacher and I remembered a lot from dance A level and college.

But going back to technical and expressive skills in performing, technical skills are very import\ant this is why professional dancers train several hours each day for many years, they need to improve in many different elements such as; good posture, focus, dynamics, flexibility, strength, balance, coordination, stamina and good alignment etc...  All these things helps a dancers technique which makes their dance quality of movement look easy and effortless which is impressive from an audience perspective. Good technique only comes from hard work, training and it is developed through the focus of the mind.

Great technicians are incredible to watch but sometimes when watching a performances we are drawn to one specific dancer that will stand out compared to the rest, we call this expression or artistry. Expression is what gives a certain performance piece its own energy, it is enjoyable to watch and makes you respond to the piece in an emotional manner. Expression performing skills are made up of musicality, communication of choreographic intent, sense of style, relationships, projection and focus. It is very difficult to acquire and improve your expressive skills, but it comes with a lot of practice, maturing, understanding the piece you are performing, and making the audience feel like they are apart of the piece and share your emotions.

I think it is very hard to choose between which is more important, technical or expressive? You need technique to execute the steps involved in the routine you are performing, but to make the audience connect to the piece and feel involved you need artistry. To be the best dancer you can be you need to practice both equally as they both work hand in hand together.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Gemma, I have chosen a topic similar to yours, perhaps we can help each other? I am exploring ways in which we as teachers develop a sense of performance in our students. I also plan to possibly look a debate along the line of technique vs artistry, set work vs syllabus and the degree that music influences one's ability to express and perform, I'm chucking various ideas around at the moment! Here is a link to my SIG: https://www.facebook.com/groups/809665509117098/
    Good luck with your research :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gemma - both are important... but what do you want to explore as a part of your practitioner research? put what you wanter to find out in the form of a question.. something about the artistry in performance? "Expression performing skills are made up of musicality, communication of choreographic intent, sense of style, relationships, projection and focus" - where did you get this from?- you could compare to Ruth's focus a bit more - then get to planning the inquiry to explore - how will y be using 'artistry'? - - looking at key words - artistry in dance - http://www.brb.org.uk/3828.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ruth, I have added you on Facebook so we can help each other more. Thank you for your comment :) x

    Paula, I'm still researching into different idea's right now, but I like my idea of
    'Do ex professionals become better teachers later in life? Rather than just becoming a teacher and not have that experience of performing to pass on to their students?' But I do not know how to word it correctly.
    Looking into technique and artistry I have come to the conclusion it easier to teach technique, I know you can not give a student perfect arched feet and change their bodies but you can teach them the basic technique and they will become the best dancer they can. On the other hand I find some children pick up performing a lot easier than others, I found it hard when I was younger and it was something I had to practice a lot especially at college. I want to know is it easier to teach someone how to use their expressive skills if their teacher has had any experience on stage performing? Is it something you can teach or not?

    ReplyDelete