Monday 11 May 2015

5c

After researching into all types of ethics, I would now like to relate ethics to my personal inquiry which is 'Is there a higher standard of teaching if that teacher has had a professional career and the experience of performing on stage? If so how does that help effect students with technical and expressive skills compared to a teacher that does not have a professional background nor the experience but is well qualified?' I am still looking into different angles of this question and may still need to re-word after developing more research.

It is important that we as members of staff behave ethically, as it is at the heart of what it means to be a professional; it distinguishes professionals from others. Here are 6 rules all professionals should follow:
  1. All members must demonstrate
  2. Act with integrity
  3. Always provide a high standard of tuition
  4. Act in a way that promotes trust in the profession
  5. Treat others with respect
  6. Take responsibility
Before finding BA (Hons) Professional Practice in Arts I looked into many different courses for dance teachers, and finding a good qualification. I found none of them mentioned having a professional employment before looking into teaching, which means it is not necessary to have that experience in the eyes of the law.

I feel I have had a good training I have completed all my RAD ballet exams from pre-primary up to Advanced 2, I dance every night of the week and Saturdays after school and going to Tring Park School for the Performing Arts also helped. I did A levels in the morning which I believe you need, extra knowledge and always something to fall back on if I was to be injured etc. After our busy morning we moved on to many hours of dance until late evening everyday Monday-Friday, I also attended classes Saturdays too. I believe this has influenced me in my teaching. After all, all that training and hard work has made me the dancer and the person I am today, and I find my classes have high expectations, a lot of drive and I do make my students work hard. I think this is the case with other teachers as well, I have many friends from college that teach and friends I went to school with that enjoyed a couple of dance lessons after school each week, I personally think there is a big difference between us, or at least for what I have seen in my eyes. People that have dance all day every day have passion, it has to be something you must really love, and also putting in them long hard days of dance you have much more knowledge compared to others who have had a 2 weeks course in teaching. We have experienced different teachers and different teaching method, I can compare teachers I have had and I try and take away each of their good points and add it to my classes. This is something I liked about the BAPP course, you already needed a level 3 diploma as this is further education, this means people who do this course are passionate about dance.

When I complete my inquiry in Module 3 I want to compare a range of peoples personal ethics mostly, I am interested in finding out their opinions on my topic and why. So far in my research I have found various different opinions which all have valid reasons, even my opinion on this topic is always changing. Some people believe that having a teacher with experience performing is inspiring, and makes you respect that teacher even more. Also they understand the dance world, they know how to prepare for auditions or extra tips, they also know a dancers life weather its on a cruise ship, touring or even just working evening performing they can pass on this experience. One boy also said another advantage would be having contacts in the dance industry, then that teacher can organise workshops for their students or help a student get into contact with the correct person who can help with their future. I found the people who agreed with the higher standard in teaching were the people who did not have the experience on stage, this was not the case for everyone but the majority of people.

Another side of personal ethics I want to look at is from a parents point of view. My parents found a ballet school with a good reputation and a high standard of teaching, I think this reputation came from her past experiences and it was very disciplined. At the school I teach at now, we have a website with our CV's on which shows our pasted employment performing or teaching, teaching qualifications, and our personal achievement's. I tend to find parents who have more in life and accomplished jobs are interested in the teachers background and expect more from the teachers and their child.

No comments:

Post a Comment